What The American Legion Does Nationally:
• Processes more than 600 disability claims appeals per month for veterans trying to get their VA medical benefits.
• Gives emergency financial assistance to Legion families hit by hurricanes, floods,tornadoes and other disasters.
• Urges Congress to provide enough VA funding to take care of veterans’ medical needs – and provide it in advance.
• Awards college scholarships to children whose mothers or fathers have sacrificed their lives in the global war on terrorism.
• Volunteers about one million hours every year at about 160 VA medical facilities
• Helps families of deployed troops through its Family Support Network and Operation Military Family Outreach.
• Through its Temporary Financial Assistance program, helps the children of veterans who are suffering hardships.
• Donates about 100,000 pints of blood annually to the American Red Cross.
• Lobbies Congress to upgrade and improve Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (the Legion wrote the original 1944 GI Bill that educated 8 million veterans).
• Through its Heroes To Hometowns program, works with communities to welcome back their returning veterans and help them make the transition to civilian life.
• Sponsors more than 5,000 American Legion Baseball teams, which are made up by more than 100,000 ballplayers.
• Raises funds to improve the quality of life for active-duty troops, with the Wounded Warrior Recognition Program and Operation Comfort Warriors.
• Offers community programs that encourage the intellectual and social growth of
America’s children (Boys State, National Oratorical Competition, Boy Scouts).
In a Nutshell:
o If you’re a veteran, The American Legion will help you. It will help you with VA
health care, GI Bill benefits, sudden emergencies and the needs of your children.
o And The American Legion does it all for free, because we have an army of
volunteers – each one a wartime veteran.
o So we understand. That’s why we’re here now – veterans helping veterans,
servicemembers and their families.
o To find out much more about what The American Legion does, please visit